Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 in review


 2012 will go down in history as a year in which I took on a bit too much. When I look back at the past year, even the past six months, I just go, "How did this all happen?"

I travelled a lot, mostly for work, which gave me the opportunity to visit friends and family in other parts of the country, which I am very thankful for. We also took some fun trips, Jarrad and I, and headed to Vietnam last month, which was a fantastic way to end the year together.

I was blessed with wonderful friendships and a lot of my friends were very blessed this year in getting engaged (we're talking 5 couples here). They also experienced difficult times or took on new challenges, which was some hard to watch, but I am proud of them for their tenacity. We also lost our friend, Paulie, which really began 2012 as a year of change through fire. We struggled but we made it. We miss you, Paulie.

At work, I faced a lot of professional/personal challenges and stuggled to develop my serious career self authentically. The stresses of an unpredictable (and, at times, downright unpleasant) work environment were taxing, but I am proud of myself for how I grew through it. The changes I see when I look back are noticable, so well done, self.

A huge project for last year was developing Mickey Lamar's Video Stars, an interactive musical comedy show which Laura, Josh and I co-produced, wrote and choreographed for the Melbourne Fringe Festival. That was not as easy a task as it sounded but, although it was difficult, it also had it's extremely fun moments and allowed us to spend a week in Melbourne (doing late night karaoke and locking out our jaws from singing too hard... huh? only I did that? oh well.) We are bringing it back for Perth's Fringeworld Festival. I am really proud of us that we achieved our goal.

While I worked and travelled and rehearsed, I finished the last half of my Graduate Diploma of Communications (part-time). This certainly contributed to some late nights and tears but in the end, I just wanted it done and over with. It is now complete and I passed! This was a good lesson in finishing what you started ;)

Towards the end of the year, with other projects wrapping up, I was able to take on some new fun things and start dancing semi-regularly to some local bands. This involves sequins, shakin' it, and spending time with friends, old and new.

In 2012, I made some resolutions and was pleased to see that I achieved several! Here's the wrap up:
1. learn to fishtail braid
2. practice yoga or pilates
3. learn to tap dance
4. make a multilayer cake with that pretty swirly icing
5. cycle
6. listen to my heart (for happiness) - who knows!
7. travel (make plans to live elsewhere)
8. put away my 2/3 house deposit
9. go camping
10. take a trip with friends (or family, that would do fine!)
11. be braver
12. cultivate a conscious wardrobe
13. grow a herb garden - we talked about this but our home is too shaded/windy
14. give regularly and intentionally
15. exercise regularly for mind and body (at least 4 times a week) (sometimes...)
16. host six dinner parties
17. spend more time outside (away from screens)
18. produce some creative work (write, draw, paint, sing, dance)

In 2013, I would be happy to keep going as I have. Here's some resolutions:
1. blog
2. get better at photo shop
3. learn or develop a new/old skill (French, singing, etc)
4. run a 5k
5. don't over commit too much
6. get out and try new things for fun

Keeping things simple, yes?
I am really blessed in this life to have a lot of great opportunities, a supportive and fun partner, a family that I am a real part of, and friends that are just straight up awesome people. I know 2013 will be challenging but I learned in 2012 that I can handle it, hopefully with a bit of grace.


I hope you all had a happy and safe New Years Eve, I spent the hot hot night dancing in the city centre in some glitter and sequins, so it doesn't get much better for me. Here's to 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment