Wednesday, August 15, 2012

on running


 Want to know a secret?
 On Monday I started the C25K and I am terrified that I will fail, which is why it's a **secret**. Let's talk about running.

My line on running has previously been that I am not a runner, never have been, and never will be. I much prefer team sports, aerobics, dancing, fitness classes... Anything form of exercise I can do that distracts me from the fact that I am exercising and gets me around people. I love to exercise in a group. When I have made little forays into running in the past, I am quick to give up. I find running hard! Physically I find it tedious, mentally I find it even more difficult, when I start to hurt and there's no real reason to keep going besides "just because" - no ball to chase, no high kicks to do, no instructor watching that's going to pound me - I just stop. Ho hum, oh well, running's not for me.

Images from TheColorRun.com
Then I read about The Colour Run on a couple of the blogs I read. Basically, it's a 5K run where, along the way, punters pelt you with coloured corn starch, and knock me down with a feather if that wasn't one of the most funtastic things I've ever seen. Even better was, a few weeks ago I found out that The Colour Run was making its way to Australia and to Perth, next February. Getting my colour on in the raddest way ever? Um, yes please! The only downside is: it's a five kilometre run and, as we know, I am not a runner. Never have been and never will be.

I thought long and hard about this and I made a decision. A decision, I must note, that is a much more determined decision than I have ever made before when it comes to running. Sure, I've made half-hearted wishful goals to run certain races but I've never seen it through, which is why I'm so scared now. But why shouldn't this be the time? Why can't I face this goal like a grown up, with a bit of grit and determination? Why shouldn't I do this now? No good reasons, etcetera, etcetera.


 This is the plan and my promise to you, Internet: With my trusty C25K app and a hand-selected playlist of optimum tracks to run to, I have begun the process and in eight weeks (around the time we leave for Melbourne Fringe), I should be running 5K. You guys, that is five kilometres and that will be a miracle. Then next February 17, two days after I turn 26 (eek, eek! bite nails!) I should be running through giant powder puffs of colour like a Smurf on acid. After all, as J-Biebs says:


No comments:

Post a Comment