Monday, August 27, 2012

on banana and date muffins

A little bit burnt, but none-the-less yummy!
The whole30 would not approve this muffin as it is a substitute for a junk-y, treat-y style food. However, it is technically whole30 friendly and, as I searched my soul questioning my deep intentions for eating it, I decided it was cool to eat, because I didn't want it because it was a muffin, I wanted another quick and easy breakfast alternative. I usually eat breakfast at my work desk and a straight up banana just wasn't cutting it. As a bonus, these muffins are de-lish-us! Oh dates, you are the chocolate of nature!


Enough talk, here's the recipe:

Banana and Date Muffins 

(Gluten, sugar, and dairy free, brosefs! Adapted from this recipe. Makes 6 muffins.)

You'll need:
  • 2 cups of almond (or hazelnut) meal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 large over-ripe bananas (or 4 small)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped dates (or more if that's your taste)
  • Coconut oil or ghee to grease your pan
Preheat your oven to 170*C (fan-forced).
Mix together almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
Puree bananas.
Add banana puree, egg, vanilla, and dates to the dry mixture and mix to combine.
Spoon into a greased half dozen muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out mostly clean.
Enjoy (n.b. they are better on day two, but warm out of the oven is good too)!

No comments:

Post a Comment